Saturday, March 5, 2011

My field work has revealed that Cave dwellings and cave cities are an integral aspect of Palestinian architectural heritage : Ali Qleibo

.http://www.thisweekinpalestine.com/details.php?id=3351&ed=192&;edid=192




Dear friends,
For the past two months I have been enjoying my field work on Palestinian Cave culture. Over the past few years I had been referring to the prevalence of cave cities in Palestine. I had decided to follow up my previous references as the thesis for this issue of TWIP which centers on the concept of heritage. My field work has revealed that Cave dwellings and cave cities are an integral aspect of Palestinian architectural heritage. The role the communal underground social life has exercised in the shaping of the peasant culture , the assigning to the clan its symbolic importance as the elementary form of kinship, the use of space, the aesthetics and values underlying our contemporary manners and customs are a reflection of that formative period that strikes deep roots into early Semitic settlement pattern in the early bronze period. The article describes the pattern of settlements and relates early constructs to modern living conditions and contemporary orientation of the village in space.
To go directly to the article and see the photos you may follow the link